Often, accent modification is an essential tool for clergy and others who do not speak English as their first language. From preaching to counseling, the ability to be understood is an essential part of helping the American faithful to deepen their relationships with God.
Sacred Heart offers a proven Accent Modification Program to non-U.S. priests, religous, seminarians and lay church workers who have a strong foundation of English language skills.
Taught by an instructor certified in the Compton P-ESL method, this highly individualized training focuses on the student’s most frequently mispronounced phonemes. Participants become effective communicators in ministerial, social and educational settings.
We guarantee a quantifiable improvement of 50 percent, and the average improvement for students completing Sacred Heart’s program is 82 percent.
Summer and semester options
The program is offered either during the academic year, or as condensed summer course.
The summer offering is a multi-faceted seven-week program that typically includes three two-credit
courses: Accent Modification, USA Cultural Competence, and Communication
in a USA Ministerial Context. Thus, the full program is six credits.
The summer session typically begins in in late June and ends in mid-August.
The semester program is a 15-week program concurrent with academic semester, typically taken at the same time as other ESL classes or regular seminary course work. Fall classes typically run late August through early December, and spring classes run mid-January through early May.
- Classes four days a week, plus enculturation field trip Wednesdays.
- Room and board: $2,450*
- Tuition: $1,120 per course ($3,360 for three-course curriculum.)*
- Books/lifetime online subscription fee: $225*
- Room and board: $5,575 per semester*
- Tuition for stand-alone Accent Modification class: $1,120 (Accent Modification
tuition is included in tuition for full-time students)*
- Books/Lifetime online subscription fee: $150*
* Rates for 2016-2017 academic year
Catholic seminary environment
Our Accent Modification Program is part of Sacred Heart’s internationally known English-as-a-Second-Language Program. It is conducted in a seminary environment, with daily Mass and prayer in a supportive, faith-filled community. In addition, students have the opportunity to improve conversational skills, experience the American culture and build vocabulary through a range of organized activities in the greater Milwaukee community.
- Assessment isolates student’s 19 most-frequent phoneme (sound) errors
- Computer-generated, individualized curriculum systematically addresses errors
- Weekly instructor-led classes focus on sound discrimination, intonation, fluency, and practicing new sound patterns
- Daily online exercises through the Compton computer app gives instantaneous voice-graphing feedback
- Accent distractions eliminated; new habits formed
- Increased ministerial effectiveness
- Improved communication in social and educational contexts
- Enhanced self-esteem
- Lifetime subscription to Compton’s website for continuous improvement
For further information contact:
Ms. Kelly Kornacki